CAPITAL WINTER CLUB LTD.
AS AMENDED TO SEPTEMBER 24, 2008
BY LAW 1 MEMBERSHIP
- 1 (amended 98-04-22) Membership shall consist of: a )honorary; b) active; c) intermediate; d) junior; e) associate; f) life.
- 2 HONORARY MEMBERS. The Club may at any meeting elect as an Honorary Member any person recommended by the Board. Upon election such persons shall be entitled to all rights and privileges of the Club except voting. Such persons shall remain an Honorary Member until death or until such an Honorary Membership is withdrawn by the Club, or resignation, whichever comes first.
- 3 ACTIVE CURLING MEMBERS. Any person who has been accepted by the Board and elected by Membership in prescribed manner may become an Active Curling Member and shall, as such, possess all the rights and privileges of the Club.
- 4 (amended 08/09/24) JUNIOR CURLING MEMBERS. Any person who has not reached the age of twenty (20) years by December 31st of the upcoming curling season and who has been accepted by the Board and elected to
membership in the prescribed manner may become a Junior Curling Member with all rights and privileges of the Club subject to certain restrictions as may be laid down from time to time by the Board of Directors.
- 5 (amended to 08/09/24) INTERMEDIATE CURLING MEMBERS. Any person who is not a Junior Curling Member and has not reached the age of twenty-six
(26) years by December 31st of the upcoming curling season and who is attending a recognized educational institution (on a full-time basis) and who has been accepted by the Board and elected to membership in the prescribed manner may become an Intermediate Curling Member with all rights and privileges of the Club subject to certain restrictions as may be laid down from time to time by the Board of Directors.
- 6 (amended 08/09/24) ASSOCIATE MEMBERS. Any person who has been accepted by the Board and elected to Membership in the prescribed manner may become an Associate Member and shall, as such, possess all the rights and privileges of the Club, except curling and voting.
1.07 (1) & (2) DELETED 98-04-22
- 8 LIFE CURLING MEMBERS. Open only to a club curler who has been a member of a C.W.C team winning an International curling championship. Such members must be recommended by the Board and shall be designated Active curling members without fees and be accepted on a two-thirds majority vote at a General Meeting.
- 9 APPLICATION FOR MEMBERSHIP. Applications other than Complimentary Membership shall be made to the Secretary.
1.10(1) ELECTION OF MEMBER. An application for Membership shall be presented to the Committee responsible for Membership for consideration and shall then be presented to the Board of Directors with the Committee's recommendation for or against acceptance. The Board of Directors shall vote to accept or reject each application.
1.10(2) The Committee and Board in considerations shall take into account such factors as:
- (a) immediate family Members of any Member of the Club
- (b) previous membership in the Club
- (c) membership in another Club, and
- (d) the chronological order in which the applications are received by the
- 11 RESIGNATIONS must be received by the Secretary in writing no later than November 1st in each year. Otherwise, all obligations of the Members to the Club shall be enforced for that season.
- 12 (amended 08/09/24) SUSPENSIONS. Any member if in arrears in payment after November 30th in any year shall be automatically suspended from Membership unless, due to extenuating circumstances, the Board extends the time for payment.
A member whose dues are not paid in full by December 15th following suspension shall automatically forfeit their Membership in the Club.
- 13 EXPULSIONS. The Board may expel any Member from the club by a two-thirds vote of its Members present at a special meeting called for that purpose. One week's notice in writing of such a meeting, together with a statement of the reason or reasons for the purposed expulsion shall be given to the Member concerned. The Member may be present, or be represented at such a meeting.
- 14 LIMITED MEMBERSHIP. The Active Curling and Intermediate Curling and Life Curling categories of membership shall be limited to a full membership as determined by the Board. When the membership is filled, further applications
may be received and accepted subject to the applicant being placed on the spare list or any other conditions to be fixed by the Board.
BY-LAW 2 FINANCIAL DUES, ETC.
- 1 The Board may accept an application for any category of membership and the applicant may purchase; if available:
- a) up to a maximum of three shares of common stock in the company, and
- b) preferred shares with no limit on
- 2 (1) ANNUAL DUES shall be paid on or before the first day of November for the current curling season and shall be fixed for each category of membership at each annual Spring Meeting following submission of the Treasurer's report and the recommendation of the Board to that meeting.
(2) New members shall be defined as those who were not Members of the Capital Winter Club during any of the preceding three curling years.
- 3 FISCAL YEAR of the Club shall terminate on the 31st day of May in each year.
- 4 APPROVAL OF EXPENDITURES. All accounts shall be approved by the Board prior to payment.
- 5 ISSUANCE OF CHEQUES, ETC. All cheques, bills of exchange and promissory notes drawn, accepted or endorsed on behalf of the Club must bear the signature of two persons as the Board may from time to time by Resolution appoint.
- 6 (amended 07/04/26) AUDITORS shall be appointed at the Spring Annual Meeting to conduct either an "Audit" or a "Review Engagement" as decided by the Board of Directors and the "Audit Report" or the "Review Engagement Report" shall be presented by the Treasurer at the Annual Fall Meeting.
BY-LAW 3 OFFICERS AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- 1 (amended 07/04/26) OFFICERS. The Officers of the Capital Winter Club Ltd. shall be (a) Past-President; (b) President; (c) 1st Vice-President; (d) 2nd Vice- President; (e) Secretary; (f) Treasurer; which said officers shall be the Executive of the Board of Directors. All officers must be members of the Capital Winter Club Ltd.
- 2 (amended 07/04/26) BOARD OF DIRECTORS. The Board of Directors shall consist of ten members of the Capital Winter Club Ltd.; (a) Past-President; (b) President; (c) 1st Vice-President; (d) 2nd Vice-President; (e) Secretary; (f) Treasurer; (g) Four Directors, of which two are male and 2 are female.
- 3 (amended 08/09/24) ELECTION AND TENURE OF OFFICE
- (1) Election shall be held annually at the Spring Meeting of the
(2a)The President, shall be elected for a one year term and shall not be eligible
for re-election to the same office until at least one year after the expiration of his or her term, with the following exception. If the 1st Vice-President is unable to stand for election to the President's position and no other member is willing to accept the nomination to that position, the President may have his or her name submitted for one additional term.
(2b)The 1st and 2nd Vice-Presidents shall be elected for a one year term and shall not be eligible for re-election to the same office until at least one year after the expiration of their term.
- (3) The officers of the Club shall be elected for one year, with the exception of (2a), and shall assume office on the first day of June following
- (4) Any Member who has served for four consecutive years as an additional Director shall be ineligible for re-election to the same office until the expiration of two years
- (5) Four additional Directors, two male and two female shall be elected
- (6) In the event that any Director should fail to complete his or her term for any reason the Board shall appoint a Member to substitute for the balance of the current Should the term still not be completed, a member shall be elected in the usual way to fill the vacancy of such Board Member for the unexpired portion of such a term.
- 4 (amended 08/09/24) NOMINATING COMMITTEE. The Board shall appoint a Nominating Committee of four Members, two male and two female, at least two
months prior to the date fixed for the Annual Spring Meeting. The Nominating Committee shall nominate one or more candidates for each vacancy on the Board but no Member's name shall be submitted unless he or she has signified willingness to act if elected. The Nominating Committee's report shall be posted in a conspicuous place in the Club premises at least two weeks prior to the date set for submission at the annual meeting.
- 5 NOMINATIONS FROM THE FLOOR. The President shall call for additional nominations from the floor for each office.
- 6 DECLARING OFFICES VACANT. If any Member of the Board be absent from three consecutive meetings thereof without good reason, the office held by such a Member may, on resolution by the Board, be declared vacant.
- 7 DUTIES OF PRESIDENT. The President shall:
- preside at all meetings of the Club,
- preside at all meetings of the Board,vote only in the case of a tie, and
- act as an ex-officio member on all standing committees.
- 8 DUTIES OF THE VICE-PRESIDENT. In the absence of the President, the 1st Vice-President shall preside and in the absence of both, the 2nd Vice-President shall preside. The meeting shall elect a Chairman should all three of the above mentioned Officers be absent.
- 9 DUTIES OF THE SECRETARY. The Secretary shall:
- (a) keep the Minutes of all Club and Board meetings,
- (b) conduct all correspondence,
- (c) maintain and keep up to date the membership roll, and
- (d) prepare, post and make available copies of Notice of Motion in accordance with clause (b) of subsection (1) of section 02.
- 10 DUTIES OF THE TREASURER
The Treasurer shall:
- (a) collect all money due to the Club and deposit same to the credit of the Club in a chartered Bank or other recognized financial institution,
- (b) pay all bills approved by the Board,
- (c) submit financial statements when required,
- (d) present an annual financial statement for auditors together with books of account, supporting vouchers,
- (e) present audited statement and auditors' report to the Board and circulate bills for annual dues to all Members on or before the 15th day of October in each year and at least once prior to the 15th day of November, circulate further requests for payment of dues to all Members who have not then paid.
- 11DUTIES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS. The Board shall:
- (a)actively manage the affairs and property of the Club,
- (b) appoint Members of Standing Committees,
- (c)appoint Special Committees as required, and
- (d) appoint one or more Board Members to act on each Standing and Special Committee who will report from that Committee to the Board from time to time.
BY-LAW 4 MEETINGS
- 1 REGULAR MEETINGS. There shall be two regular general meetings of the Club during each fiscal year as follows:
- (a) one in the Fall on a date to be selected by the Board and herein referred to as the "Fall Meeting", and
- (b) one in the Spring on a date to be selected by the Board which shall be the Annual Meeting, and herein referred to as the "Spring Meeting",
- 2 SPECIAL MEETINGS. The President may call a special meeting of the Club at
any time, and shall do so at the request of the Board or at the request in writing of any ten Members in good standing.
- 3 NOTICE OF MEETING. Written or printed notice stating the place, day and
hour of any special or general meeting of Members shall be posted and advertised to each Member not less than ten days before the date of such meeting. If mailed, the notice shall be deemed delivered when deposited in the Queen's mail addressed to the Member at his address as it appears on the records of the Club with postage thereon prepaid. Any Member may waive notice of any meeting.
- 4 VOTING. All Members in good standing and Shareholders are entitled to attend
all meetings of the Club and shall be entitled to vote on all questions that come before the meeting except as hereinafter provided.
(1) Each Member or Shareholder shall be entitled to one vote
- (2) All votes at any meeting shall be taken in such a manner as the President may direct except when five or more Members so request the President shall cause a vote to be taken by
- (3) On all questions relating to the amendment, alterations, modification or repeal of By-Laws, only Members and Shareholders shall be entitled to vote
- 5 QUORUMS.
- a) Ten percent of the Members of the Club having voting privileges shall constitute a
- b) Fifty percent of the Membership of the Board of Directors shall constitute a
BY-LAW 5 STANDING COMMITTEES
- 1 The operation of the Club shall be carried through several Standing Committees, the names and duties of which shall be established by the Board from time to time.
- 2 All committees shall be subject to directions from the Board from time to time and the Board's decision shall be final.
BY-LAW 6 CORPORATE POWER
- 1 POWERS OF THE BOARD. The Board of Directors, in addition to any other powers given by these By-Laws, shall have the following powers:
- in all things to administer the affairs of the Company.
- to make or cause to be made any description of contract that the Company may, by law, enter into.
- all rights and powers given Directors by any law of the Province of New Brunswick.
- all powers of discipline necessary to ensure the operation of the Club at a high standard consistent with the accepted social rules for behaviour of ladies and gentlemen and keen curlers.
- to pay or cause to be paid honorariums to the Secretary, the Treasurer, and any other person who, in the judgment of the Board, has served the Club with special distinction.
- to enter into a contract with and appoint a salaried Manager who may be a Member and Director of the Club for all purposes; and to postpone the appointment of the said Manager for so long as the Board considers advisable.
- 2 (1) Amendments and additions to and deletions from By-Laws may be made at any meeting of the Club provided;
- a) a Notice of Motion to Amend, signed by the intended mover, is delivered to the Secretary at least 30 days before the meeting at which the motion is presented; and,
- b) a copy of the Notice of Motion to Amend is posted and advertised to every Member and/or Shareholder at least 14 days before the meeting at which the motion is presented; and,
- c) a copy of the Notice of Motion to Amend is posted on the Club bulletin board for at least 7 days before the meeting at which the motion is
(2) The Notice of Motion to Amend referred to in this section shall specify the meeting at which the motion is to be presented, provided that, if the date of the meeting has not been announced to the general Memberships, it may be referred to in the notice as the next meeting of the Club to be held not less than 30 days after the date on which the notice is delivered to the Secretary.
BY-LAW 7 RULES OF PLAY
7.01 RULES. All curling shall be governed by the New Brunswick Curling Association and their rules as adopted.
BY-LAW 8 MISCELLANEOUS
- 1 VISITORS.
- a) Any member of a recognized Curling Club who is visiting in Fredericton may be allowed the privileges of the
- b) Members may invite visitors to be their guests in the Club rooms, provided, however, that notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this section, the Board of Directors may limit the number of times any person may be admitted as a guest and the Board of Directors may exclude the admission of guests for specified
- 2 THE USE OF CLUB PREMISES.
- a) THE The office is for use of the Club Manager and such other officials of the Club as may from time to time require such space in carrying on necessary operations of the Club.
- b) LADIES LOCKER The ladies locker rooms and rest rooms
area are for the use of Female Members and their female guests only and shall be out of bounds at all times for Male Members of the Club and male guests.
- c) MEN'S LOCKER The men's locker rooms and rest rooms area are for the use of Male Members of the Club and their male guests and shall be out of bounds at all times for Female Members and lady guests.
- d) The main lounges and/or viewing areas on the first and second floors and dining room shall be for the use of men and lady Members and their guests at any time the club is officially open, except that any area may be specifically reserved as the Board or the Officers of the Club may direct
by notice in writing. In addition, the Club may make available to Members and/or guests such facilities as may be requested for special activities on such terms and conditions as may be agreed upon.
- e) ICE SHED. Area known as the ice shed shall be used for curling as directed by the Schedule Committee provided that the Ice Committee shall be given necessary time to prepare the ice surface at the beginning as well as during the Rental or other use of the area at other times of the year as the Board may direct.
- f) The Club facilities shall be open for use of the Club Members or others as directed by the Board or the Officers of the
- 3 PRINTING OF BY-LAWS
- (1) (amended 08/09/24) The By-Laws shall be made available to any member upon
- (2) Every Member shall be entitled to purchase additional copies of the By-Laws and amendments thereto at any time at a price approximately equal to the cost of the
(3) (deleted 08/09/24)